Neurotoxin injections are commonly known as Botox® injections. However, this is simply a brand name. There are several types of neurotoxins available, all of which are botulinum toxin type A, and work similarly to help with anti-aging.
Neurotoxins function by preventing the release of acetylcholine, which is a neurotransmitter that is responsible for muscle contraction. Essentially, when neurotoxins are injected into muscle, the muscle is unable to contract, which helps reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles in various areas of the face, including forehead wrinkles, crow’s feet (wrinkles around the eyes) and lines between the eyebrows from frowning.
At Rejuvenate MKE, we recognize that neurotoxin injections may be new to some of our clients, so we have included some basic information to help you understand what you can expect at your treatment. Your first visit includes a free consultation, where you can meet with our injector and have your questions answered.
What type of neurotoxin does Rejuvenate MKE offer?
Why should you consider receiving your neurotoxin injections at Rejuvenate MKE?
Neurotoxin injections at Rejuvenate MKE are performed by a board certified nurse practitioner who is certified in neurotoxin injections. You can feel assured that your injector is a dedicated professional and focused on delivering safe, high quality care.
What should you expect at your visit?
Your injector will first perform a free consultation with you, which will include a review of your medical history and an assessment of your facial muscles. Together, your injector will work with you to provide you with a customized treatment plan. This plan is based on your concerns as well as your injector’s expertise, to help deliver you the highest quality results. After your consultation, your injector will “map” your dosing on your skin and provide your injections. Injections feel like a small pinch but are generally well-tolerated. Occasionally there may be mild, temporary redness and/or swelling at the injection site, which typically resolves within the hour. Mild bruising may occur at injection sites.
Note that neurotoxin treatments are dosed in units, and each facial muscle requires different amounts of toxin. No two people will have the same dosing.
What is the cost of treatment?
As previously mentioned, neurotoxin is dosed in units. The cost at Rejuvenate MKE is $12/unit. The number of units required for your treatment depends on a few factors, including the area(s) being treated and your gender (men require more units than women).
Dysport also requires more units, because the units are different than typical “Botox” units. However, units are converted so pricing is equivalent.
On average, the number of units required for each area for a woman is as follows (men should expect to require 1.5-2x the number of units):
- Forehead: 8-20 units
- Eyebrow lift: 2-4 units per side
- Glabella (11’s or frown lines between the eyebrows): 15-30 units
- Bunny lines (wrinkles in the nose): 4-8 units
- Crow’s feet (wrinkles around eyes): 6-25 units per side
- “Lip flip” (to enhance appearance of fullness of lips or improve appearance of smoker’s lines): 2-4 units
- Marionette lines (wrinkles that appear when making a sad face): 2-8 units per side
- Chin: 4-8 units
Does Rejuvenate MKE offer any rewards or discounts on neurotoxin treatment?
With the Xeomin Xperience+ Loyalty Program, you can earn points during your treatment which you can use on products and services. You can register even before your first visit. In addition, with a minimum purchase of 40 units of Xeomin, you’ll be rewarded a $50 virtual prepaid card that you can use at the time of your visit, so it’s like getting an instant $50 off!
Galderma offers ASPIRE Rewards for Dysport, including a $20 off reward to be used on your first visit.
What should you expect post-treatment?
Rejuvenate MKE has several recommendations for both immediately after your treatment, and over the next 24-48 hours, including:
- It is recommended that you do not wear makeup for at least 4 hours after your treatment. If you must apply it, you should wait until the bleeding has stopped and swelling has subsided, and you should apply it very gently
- Do not lie head down flat, touch or rub the treated areas for at least 4 hours after treatment
- Refrain from straining, heavy lifting and vigorous exercise for at least 24 hours following treatment
- Avoid the use of Tretinoin (Retin-A) and/or active skincare products for 24 hours after treatment
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours after treatment, as this could increase your risk of bruising
- Avoid wearing tight fitting headwear (hats, headbands, etc.) over your treatment area for 24 hours after treatment
- Avoid NSAIDs (such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and Aleve) for 24-48 hours after treatment. If you need a pain reliever, you should take Tylenol as needed
This list is not all inclusive. You will be provided with a complete list of post-treatment instructions, and your injector will review these with you.
How long does it take for the neurotoxin injections to take effect? When will you see results?
Neurotoxin treatments do take time to reach efficacy – approximately 14-21 days.
How long do the results from neurotoxin treatment last?
Results last 3 months, on average, but may be a little shorter or a little longer, depending on your metabolism. It is recommended that you be seen approximately every 3 months, if you desire maintenance of the results you have achieved.
How should you prepare for your treatment?
When you book your appointment, you will receive an intake questionnaire and clinic policy information. You should complete this paperwork before your treatment, as your injector will review it with you at the time of your service.
You should come to your appointment with a clean, dry face. If you are wearing makeup, you will be required to remove it.
You should avoid receiving treatment within 2 weeks of a special event, such as a wedding, or if you will be unavailable for follow-up (for example, if you are traveling). This is because neurotoxin can take 14-21 days to achieve its full effect, and may require refinement.
If you are prone to bruising and bleeding, you should take arnica 5 days prior to treatment. You should avoid taking NSAIDs (including aspirin, ibuprofen, and Aleve) for 48-72 hours prior to your appointment.
What type of follow-up is required after your appointment?
You are strongly encouraged to return to the clinic 14-21 days after your treatment for evaluation of the results and refinement, as necessary. Follow-up must be performed during this timeframe, to ensure the neurotoxin has had time to take full effect. Rejuvenate MKE provides two complimentary units at the time of follow-up; additional units will be billed to you at the regular fee.
Who should not receive neurotoxin treatment?
You may not be a good candidate if:
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients in the neurotoxin products
- You have an active infection for which you are taking antibiotics or antivirals
- You are actively receiving chemotherapy or radiation therapy
- You have a skin infection at the planned site of injection
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You have a history of a nerve or muscle condition, such as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Myasthenia Gravis, or Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
This list is not all inclusive. Your injector will thoroughly review your health history and contraindications with you prior to your treatment.
Can any other services be done at the same time as my neurotoxin treatment?
Yes! You can amplify the results of your neurotoxin injections by pairing it with a chemical peel. With a minimum purchase of 20 units of neurotoxin, you’ll save on the cost of your peel.
We would love to help you feel your best. Let’s get started.
Want to amplify your results? Pair your Rewind the Clock Peel with your neurotoxin treatment, also known as ToxBooster Treatment, and save! Treatment is done at the same visit. Cost of peel: $200-275 ($100 off!) (with a minimum purchase of 20 units of neurotoxin)
Want to make sure you’re maximizing your neurotoxin results? Click here to learn more about our partnership with skinbetter science®, a multi-award winning, medical grade skincare line.